Thursday, March 4, 2010

Translating a Smile

At this point in our week, I feel so physically and emotionally drained. I have forgotten what "well rested" felt like. I just want to take in as much as I can, yet my days are getting harder and harder to get through. The thought of going home makes me sad now. How do I take back what I have experienced here? How do I leave such a tight knit community and city that leaves me longing for so much more?

Yesterday, for the first time since being in NYC, I went to a Eucharist at 815. Although I have loved every minute of all the different worship opportunities I have experienced thus far, this one service for me was like going home. It may have been a slightly different service in a different sanctuary but it was home.

One of the biggest obstacles I have faced this week is the language barrier. This is most definitely a world-wide commission with delegates spanning the globe. For instance, there is another delegate with World Student Christian Federation (WSCF) named Rosina from Argentina. She seems like such an amazing person and the people who have had the opportunity to interact with her say the same. I feel saddened by the fact that I cannot speak Spanish and she cannot speak English. There are so many barriers like this we each face on a daily basis but do we let them get in our way or do we overcome them? I find myself going out of my way to wave and smile at Rosina to let her know how much I care that she is here….she, as well, does the same because something as simple as a smile and sharing a laugh is definitely universal.

“My peace I give you, my peace I leave you, trouble not your hearts. My peace I give you, my peace I leave you, be not afraid.


Christ’s Peace,

Lauren Wainwright

No comments:

Post a Comment